Re: (OPE-L) Re: Which label: neo-Ricardian, surplus approach, or linear production theory?

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 08:29:34 EST

At 8:05 -0500 3-12-2003, glevy@PRATT.EDU wrote:
>Hi Riccardo!

Hi Jerry!

>>  von Neumann: the first to put him in the Classical tradition was
>>  Napoleoni in 1963-4 (to my knowledge), it seems that K&S do not
>>  acknowledge that, but I am unsure about that.
>
>His most famous collaborator, Oscar Morgenstern, was clearly a
>marginalist.  So, his status as a figure in the classical tradition
>is subject to doubt. I think it might be better to think of von Neumann
>as a figure who had a foot in at least a couple of different
>(and contradictory) intellectual traditions.

I agree, but what's for sure is that von Neumann, knowing it or not,
resuscitated the idea of production as a circular process, which is
non-neoclassical

the same Napoleoni, however, said something like you not in 1963-4
but in 1976: that von Neumann's prices are an efficiency index which
are compatible with neoclassicism, as long as the Robbins idea of
economics is retained, but out of the marginalist view of capital as
a factor of production or of distribution

>>  an interesting taxonomy of the 'Sraffian' schools is made by
>>  Roncaglia, who distinguishes among 'neoSmithian', 'neoRicardian' and
>>  'neoMarxian' in a little book recently published by Routledge.
>
>What about neo-Napoleonian?

actually, in a paper on Napoleoni, about him itself, I distinguished:

- a Smithian period 1956-61

a Ricardian period 1961-71

- a Marxian period 1971-75/6

- a Marcusian interlude 1976 - 1985

- a Heideggerian period 1985-88

unfortunately Napoleoni died in 1988, so I cannot invent more labels

but I can try with Sraffa:

a Petty/Physiocratic period 1927-31

a truly Marxian period 1940-42

a Sraffian (!) period 1957-60

but I am just joking, of course

>What's the name of the book?

Piero Sraffa: his life, thought and cultural heritage, Routledge

--

Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche