Re: (OPE-L) Comparing books on Sraffa

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 10:13:33 EST

At 9:58 -0500 3-12-2003, glevy@PRATT.EDU wrote:
>  > Piero Sraffa: his life, thought and cultural heritage, Routledge
>
>Riccardo:  Do you recommend this book?  How does it compare
>to the little book by Jean-Pierre Potier [_Piero Sraffa:
>Unorthodox Economist (1898-1983): a biographical essay_, Routledge,
>1991, ISBN 0-415-05959-3]?

they are quite different. Jean Pierre's book is strictly biographical
(I made with Jean Pierre a paper in Italian saying something on the
news on Sraffa's biography after the opening of Cambridge's archive,
and we added at the end some considerations on the reception of
Sraffa's 1960 in Italian marxist circles, and Sraffa's reactions)

Roncaglia's is also relatively updated, and it is more theoretical,
though very simple and introductive from a Sraffa follower.
Roncaglia's main book on Sraffa in English, considering also the
debate with Marxists, is of the early 80s, "Sraffa and the theory of
prices". The new book is, like JPP, a very slim book. However,
knowing Routledge and being an hardback, I guess it is also very
expensive.

--

Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche