Re: (OPE-L) Re: the real wage, and the production of surplus value

From: paul cockshott (clyder@GN.APC.ORG)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 06:15:34 EST

What is at issue here is not whether wages are
the same in all industries, but whether the distribution
of the profit share tends to be degenerate.

Empirically we know that while it is not degenerate,
the profit share has a relatively narrow dispersion,
we found a coefficient of variation of 0.42 for the UK
economy, which is narrow compared to the dispersion of
profit rates.

By Farjoun and Machovers argument, this narrow dispersion
of the sectoral profit shares will tend to cause the likely
value of the mean profit share to be of the order of 50%
(Actually it was 31% in the year we measured.)