(OPE-L) 'Labor Market Dynamics Within Rival Macroeconomic Frameworks'

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 10:23:43 EST

Paul C wrote:

> I think that class struggle does have a role here. It is
> easier for unions to win wages from firms which have an
> above average profit share. This will tend to limit the
> dispersion of the profit share. Whether this is a sufficient
> explanation I am unsure.

Several responses:

1) It is true, of course,  that unionized workers have
greater _opportunities_ for winning wage concessions
from firms which have an above average profit share.

Yet,  here we are only talking about one segment of the
labor market and industry which tends to be associated
with the oligopolies.

2) As a 'stylized fact', it is the case for most of the post-
WW2 period within the US that both real wages and
profits tended to increase.  However, let's consider the
reasons and changes that have occurred:

a)  Real wages tended to increase when productivity and
profits increased because of a 'labor accord'  in which
Union 'leaders' basically entered into an agreement with
corporations that in exchange for allowing mgt. to increase
productivity (and conceding that issues related to technological
change were 'management prerogatives' that weren't subject to
negotiation or the grievance procedure), workers would receive
periodic wage increases.  An example of this was the 'Annual
Improvement Factor' in the auto industry which automatically
adjusted money wages for union (UAW) members upwards by
3%/annum.

b) one could make the case, as people like Bowles and Edwards
have done, that this was a reflection of the social structure of
accumulation (SSA) of the post-WW2 period.  Yet, this clearly
has _not_ been the experience within all capitalist social formations
during that time period: i.e. the 'labor accord' was specific to
particular social formations. I suppose one could otherwise claim,
as David Y and Paul Bullock might, that the 'labor accord' was
an expression of the 'labor aristocracy.'  That, however, raises
other issues -- certainly ones that require an examination of the
world capitalist system as a whole rather than only individual
capitalist social formations like the US, the UK, or Japan --
such as how the transfer of surplus value internationally could
cause real wages for (some) workers to rise within the imperialist
nations.

c) The 'labor accord' was in force for workers in the so-called
'subordinate primary market'.   The workers in the 'secondary market'
(often women and minorities) had a different experience.  For
example, workers in the secondary labor market were not
organized and there was a significant disparity in wages among
workers in the different labor market 'segments'.  It should
also be noted that many of the corporations that employed
workers from the secondary market were in the so-called
'service sector' where the larger corporations in that sector
were oligopolies and received a higher than average rate of
profit.

d) Union membership has been in _decline_ in the US for
many decades now:  in 1950 35% of the nonfarm employed
workers were union members; in 1960, the rate was 32%;
in 1970 the rate was 31%; in 1980 the rate was 25%, and
in 1990 the rate dropped still further to 15%.(* ) So, to the
extent that the ratio of real wages to profits has remained
constant over this period (which I'm still not convinced
of) the explanation can't be found in Union power, especially
since the same model of 'labor-management cooperation'
has been employed -- by and large -- from the 1950's
to the present time in the US.

As a consequence, I am quite leery of generalizing this
experience since it seems to be both time- and nation-
specific and I have not been convinced that the empirical
and historical evidence demonstrates that what has been
the case in the US  (or the UK) during the time period
discussed above represents a "basic and consistent feature
of capitalism".  But, I'm still listening.

In solidarity, Jerry

(*) Source: Samuel Bowles and Richard Edwards _Understanding
Capitalism_, 2nd edition, HarperCollins College Publishers, 1993,
p. 242