(OPE-L) Re: Labour aristocracy

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 10:50:07 EST

Hi Simon.  In your response to Paul Z, you wrote:

> There are 2 different issues here.
> 1. I think of the rate of surplus value as an overall macroeconomic
> category applying to the whole economy, and not applicable to individual
> production processes. (But I know that many disagree with this.)
> 2. Given 1, then the issue revolves round comparisons of productivity.

Given 1, why does the issue then revolve only around productivity
comparisons?   If  real wages are higher in one economy
(compared to wages in another economy) then that will increase the
proportion of paid to unpaid labor time and hence the proportion of
necessary to surplus labor time  which will reduce the production of
relative surplus value, ceteris paribus.  Consequently, productivity _and_
wage comparisons are  required. We recently had a discussion,
initiated by Mike L, about this issue.

In solidarity, Jerry