Re: (OPE-L) Re: Labour aristocracy

From: Simon Mohun (s.mohun@QMUL.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 13:53:53 EST

Hi Jerry,
You are quite right - my point 2 should have said 'comparisons of
productivity and real wage rates'. Sorry for the confusion.
Simon

At 10:50 AM 1/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Simon.  In your response to Paul Z, you wrote:
>
> > There are 2 different issues here.
> > 1. I think of the rate of surplus value as an overall macroeconomic
> > category applying to the whole economy, and not applicable to individual
> > production processes. (But I know that many disagree with this.)
> > 2. Given 1, then the issue revolves round comparisons of productivity.
>
>Given 1, why does the issue then revolve only around productivity
>comparisons?   If  real wages are higher in one economy
>(compared to wages in another economy) then that will increase the
>proportion of paid to unpaid labor time and hence the proportion of
>necessary to surplus labor time  which will reduce the production of
>relative surplus value, ceteris paribus.  Consequently, productivity _and_
>wage comparisons are  required. We recently had a discussion,
>initiated by Mike L, about this issue.
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Simon Mohun
Centre for Business Management,
Queen Mary, University of London,
Mile End Road,
London E1 4NS,
UK

Tel: +44-(0)20-7882-5089 (direct); +44-(0)20-7882-3167 (Dept. Office); Fax:
+44-(0)20-7882-3615
Webpage:  www.qmul.ac.uk/~ugte154/