Re: Labour aristocracy

From: paul cockshott (clyder@GN.APC.ORG)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 09:25:50 EST

Paul Z:

I'm still rather astonished that you could be thinking that U.S. workers
may be more exploited the Third World workers.  I don't get it.  If wages
are 5-20% of the U.S. levels, how is productivity in mfg. going to be 20 to
5 times higher in the U.S. when evidence suggests +/- 10% differentials.

Paul C:

The rate of surplus value for the economy as a whole relates
to the share of wages in total value added. The factories that
you take as examples are probably unrepresentative of the general
productivity in the Mexican economy which will in tend to be
substantially lower than in these factories.

It is quite plausible that across the economy as a whole
the labour productivity may be only 1/5th of the US level.