Re: (OPE-L) Venezuela

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 08:56:28 EST

There's an interesting graph in this article:

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news.php?newsno=1145

showing the history of recent unemployment rate in Venezuela, and how it
spiked upward around the coup to overthrow Chavez and then again around the
lockout.  It is also seems to show that the rate is come back down to where
it was when Chavez began his present term of office.

Regarding another article,

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/articles.php?artno=1035

offers an interview with Deborah James who is 'the Fair Trade Director at
Global Exchange and has recently become a close observer of the changes
happening in Venezuela'.  She says of Chavez

"He was the only head of state at the World Summit on Sustainable
Development that came and addressed the civil society groups. I was very
impressed by that?that he would come down to our space and contact us and
share his thoughts and answer questions about what was happening in
Venezuela."

and goes on

"We [Global Exchange] met him and said we said we were Women for Peace and
we were organizing to prevent the war against Iraq. And he said, ?we would
love to have more women for peace in Venezuela. You should see the war that
is being waged against my administration and against the revolutionary
process we are trying to develop?the oligarchy and the media are organizing
this terrible media war against the revolutionary process.? And so I came
in May for the first time, right after a WTO conference in Mexico City and
have been, since the very first moment that I got off the plane, more than
impressed, kind of overwhelmed with what?s been happening here and with the
people that I?ve met."

Later in the article she states,

"Venezuela put itself forward as the number one ally of the social
movements. When you consider the fact that stopping the FTAA is
collectively the number one priority of the social movements of the western
hemisphere, Venezuela has really put itself out there as the number one
ally to stopping the FTAA. It?s a really important alliance that has come
about."

Paul

RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY,  Paul Zarembka, editor, Elsevier Science
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka