Re: (OPE-L) Venezuela

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 12:37:51 EST

Jerry wrote:

>Approximately five million acres of land were distributed to Venezuelan
>peasants in 2003 and it is projected that another nine million acres will
>be distributed in 2004.  Also, 100,000 families received land grants,
>agricultural machinery, etc. in 2003. See:
><http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/a-list/2004w00/msg00002.htm>http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/a-list/2004w00/msg00002.htm

Yes but most of this land was unused (as I understand it), and thus
one could suspect of poor quality. The land reform as I understand it
has not proceeded as a revolutionary assault on the latifundia
system. What you have sent us is hardly detailed: we don't know about
the viability of these farms, the quality of the equipment, the labor
relations that prevail on them.
Rakesh