Re: re Rakesh's information about Venezuela

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 14:41:13 EST

I note that Rakesh still has not provided his sources, which surely offer
answers to the many questions he asks. (I thought he would be induced to
reveal these, given my statement that his information is false.) Others,
without access to Rakesh's sources, may appreciate some information (in
addition to that which Jerry has provided on the land reform programmes).
There are over 10,000 Cuban doctors working in the poorest barrios in
Venezuela right now--- one of the most popular programmes for the poor
(sorry, Karl). (The Venezuelan association of doctors has naturally
protested-- Rakesh's sources probably describe this as union-busting.) As
to the size of the march, estimates vary. One Chavist leader said 2 million
were there; the newspaper el universal said 62,000 were there. The Minister
of Planning said a half million, which may be closest to the truth. I took
extensive notes, thinking I would write it up, but subsequently decided I
had better things to do with my time. Here are some points from them. The
(2km?) area of Avenida Bolivar, where the 4 hour march ended, when filled
takes between 120,000 people and 800, 000 people (according to whether you
believe an opposition correspondent of mine-- not there-- or a photographer
who spoke with Marta, who was at the tribune). I would say it was at least
1/2 full (with people like me who mingled rather than marched) before the
marchers began arriving at 2:11 pm (at the far end of the street, distant
from the speakers tribune, where I was). By 2:30, the march was getting
chaotic because there was increasingly nowhere for people to go. It was 30
across and had stopped moving by 2:33. Somehow, it began to move again in
another 10 minutes. A friend of mine, a leader of the healthworkers union
(sorry, Rakesh, not part of the industrial working class) in the state of
Merida was ecstatic, saying 'This is the referendum!'  (I won't bother to
describe the marchers, about whom I have many notes-- suffice it to say
they came from all sectors of the working class.) I thought that the march
was dying out at 3:09 because it seemed sparse. Nope, in another minute or
two, the crowd was thick again. Interesting, though, many people starting
to go the other way on the sidewalk. 3:56--- an enormous crowding,
jostling, etc--- Chavez standing on top of a truck, clenched fist. Everyone
pushing to try to get near him, to catch his eye; thought I might lose my
footing. A few more cars come a bit later. Where will they go? Nowhere, it
turns out-- can't get through, manoeuvre to turn around and join those
going the other way.At 4:26, one of the last groups of workers-- postal
workers union. Basically, no more coming at 4:34. By 4:50, like so many
others--- especially those who began marching at 10am, I go back to my room
and turn on the TV to watch Chavez speak while sitting rather than to stand
and not see him and hear a distorted sound through loudspeakers. I think he
ended at 6:50. How many on the march? It was certainly the biggest I've
ever seen. I was trying to estimate its size as people passed me---
something I've never tried to do before-- and came up with over 400,000.
So, Rakesh, definitely more than 10,000.
         Hope this is useful information for those who have honest questions.
                 in solidarity,
                 michael

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus