Re: (OPE-L) Re: The Church-Turing thesis

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 09:38:02 EST

Hi

> I'll claim that any theory of a dialectical logic worth
> > its salt should be able to be formalized and implemented on a
> > computer.

Sorry not to have looked in more detail at this interesting thread but
the above remark caught my eye.

I would have thought that dialectical logic is precisely a sublation of
formal logic which means that it can never be 'formalised': it cannot
be captured in a formal system. The failure of logicism, the
reduction of maths to logic, (a failure I take Godel to have proved)
can be viewed in this light. But Ian is the expert re Godel and all
that...Ian I am forever interested to hear more of your view on this
stuff.

Andy