Re: (OPE-L) Re: The Church-Turing thesis

From: Paul Cockshott (clyder@GN.APC.ORG)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 17:54:41 EST

Andrew Brown wrote:

> I would have thought that dialectical logic is precisely a sublation of
> formal logic which means that it can never be 'formalised': it cannot
> be captured in a formal system. The failure of logicism, the
> reduction of maths to logic, (a failure I take Godel to have proved)
> can be viewed in this light.

The fact that an axiomatic system can not be both provably consistent
and complete, does not of course stop it being implemented on a
computer.

I have not read Hegel since my undergraduate days, but what struck me
at the time was that his logic meant whatever he wanted it to mean,
the steps of development in the Science of Logic are just assertions
since there is no formal procedure for testing the steps of its'
development.