Re: (OPE-L) Re: On the 'Unanswered Questions About Rent'

From: Cyrus Bina (binac@MRS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 13:39:20 EST

Hi Jerry:

1.There is no 'rate of surplus value' in US oil and another in Persian-Gulf oil.  The globalization of oil, since mid-1970s, means that the oil industry is a 'unified' industry, without separate conceptual parts.

2. The US oil, being the highest cost oil region, has remained in the market because it is still producing (on average) a big chunk of the supply. Besides, there are various oilfields in the US region that are somewhat more productive than their counterparts in other oil regions.  The fact that the 'regulating capital' of the least productive US oilfields is also 'regulating' the global industry's value formation, is not the same as saying that all the US oilfields are least productive.  Here, competition is among all oilfields, regardless of theory location, at the global level.  Indeed, I have already demonstrated that oil's regulating capital is also leading to the formation of value of all fossil fuels as well as all non-fossil-based energy (see Bina, "Competition, Control and Price Formation the International Energy Industry," ENERGY ECONOMICS, Vol. 11, No. 3, July 1989).  As I remember, you have already have this among the articles I have already sent you.

3. On the contrary, reference to 'barrier to entry' is suspect at two levels:
a) methodologically, for if it is an outcome a process, it does not explain the overcoming of such entries (i.e., concentration and centralization of capital through the commotions of competition, which, among others, result in the larger and larger size of 'regulating capital');
b) 'barrier to entry' is embedded in the ideological 'language' of bourgeois monopoly, thus reinforces the neoclassical misconception of market structure.

I have to run to my class.

Best,

Cyrus