Re: On the 'Unanswered Questions About Rent'

From: Cyrus Bina (binac@MRS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 11:30:08 EST

Hi Paul,

In the paragraph that (Chapter 45, Absolute Ground Rent) you have cited, the
phrase: "excluding those lines in which capital consisting of machinery and
other fixed capital is very considerable," is an indication that Marx knew
that such conditions are very likely in capitalism.  This means that
successive investment of capital, which leads to DRII, may also eliminate
the investment on "marginal" land and AR.  The "regulating capital" in the
"extractive industry proper" may shift from "marginal" land to
"intra-marginal" as DRII had already set the limit to AR (in this case,
zero).  Now, from the standpoint of (capital) accumulation process,
successive investments of capital on lands that are already under lease can
continue without the obstruction of the landed property.  It is due to such
investments, given competition, that the "organic composition of capital"
will increase to or beyond the average in industry.  Therefore, asserting
that AR is not relevant to the oil industry should be accompanied by a
demonstration of high capital intensity in the oil industry,which also
depends on the specific analysis of the oil industry itself.   Again, Bina
(1985 and 1989) could be used as references.  I have no access to your
article in RPE.  If you want me to read it, please send it to me at
binac@mrs.umn.edu.  It would be a pleasure to send my comments to you
directly and if you wish to post them, it is up to you.

Regards,

Cyrus