Re: (OPE-L) Ernesto's "Damned Lies" ?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 18:01:11 EST

>I think the question of how we argue with one another, how we
>construct our discourse, is legitimate.

Fine, Gary, then why aren't we also bothered with charges of
scholastic forcings and killing hope? It would seem to me that
Ernesto Screpanti raised the level of rhetoric before Kliman. Yet
neither you nor Levy even acknowledge that.

And why are we considering how Kliman constructs his discourse when
i. he is not on this list and ii. we cannot know how he has actually
constructed  his discourse as we have not read the paper. All we can
do is jump to conclusions. By "discussing" the title to Kliman's
paper, we are not discussing a "discourse." The discussion could have
been left with Phil Dunn's reply to Levy, but Levy then went on to
level accusations against Kliman without having read either Kliman's
paper or Scepanti's. This is absurd. In fact there is something
unhinged about this whole thing.

>  My understanding of Gerry's original post on the topic was that he
>was curious about the context of AK's piece, what had motivated it
>etc.

And when Phil Dunn apprised him of the non rational elements in
Ernesto's criticism of TSS, Levy could condemn only Kliman. The
discussion should have been either never raised or dropped after
Phil's reply simply because there was then and is not now enough
substance to continue the discussion

>The point about the title was a legitimate collateral issue.  But of
>course Rakesh is right that it would be desirable to discuss the
>content of AK's paper when that becomes available.

And it was not desirable that you apprise us (and the larger academic
world) of a paper, confidentially submitted, that may not be
published. It seems that you have learned little from the RRPE affair.

Given the one sided concern about Kliman's "discourse" and your
recent indiscretion, I should say that the TSS critics are not coming
across well. But that is just my opinion of course.

Rakesh