Re: (OPE-L) Re: "Marx, Markets and Meatgrinders: An Interview with Bertell Ollman" from Political Affairs

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@UFPR.BR)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 17:08:47 EST

Thanks Jerry for your stimulating post. Obviously one feels overwhelmed by the
volume of reading and research that must be done if marxists want to be more
convincing both scientifically and in their daily propaganda.
I think the idea of keeping the eyes on the prize is very serious. However it
would be much harder to comprehend the subject matter -- Capitalism and State --
if we were to depart solely from the present day evidence rather than mixing
Marx´s suggestions with new evidence.
To keep it simple consider the question of Taxes/unproductive classes. This is
in itself a whole field of analysis. I guess here Marx is referring to the
unproductive classes employed by the state, i.e., the army, the legislators, the
judges, the civil servants. What seems interesting to me is that Taxes as far as
the unproductive classes are concerned is a subject matter that is independent
of the type of government that happens to exist: as long as it mantains the
social relations as they are the state has to gather funds to pay for the
government dependent individuals.
In asking about the relationship between the state and the economy I had in mind
relations that are independent of whether the government is a committee of the
bourgeoisie or whether the government is of the the Bonapartist type. If we look
at the way Marx orders the contents of what was supposed to be the book on the
state it seems that he has in mind these economic relations.
You refer to the state as the state-form. Does that come from the Critique of
Hegel? The form of appearance of the state as the interest of all in opposition
to its intrinsic or essential being as the instrument of one class? Here the
economic relations help to understand the state as a form of appearance: taxes
come from all, therefore the state must be in the interest of all. I do not
think the question of the state as form and its economic foundations in
capitalism need to be separated.
I was also curious to know what Marx meant by the
"Encroachment of bourgeois society on the State".
I am very interested in reading Reuten and Williams` book on the state. Maybe
I´ll scape this shameful ignorance.
Thanks again
Paulo