Re: (OPE-L) Bertell Ollman's Critique of Systematic Dialectics

From: Michael Williams (michaelj.williams@TISCALI.CO.UK)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 11:35:12 EST

As you intimate I have little disposable time now.

Briefly: The point is that
1. There are 'materialist' elements in Hegel and 'idealist' elements in
Marx. This makes the distinction unhelpful in terms of the critique of Hegel
required in order to ground systematic dialectics.
2. Materialism in this context is inadequately defined: ubiquitous ideas can
be material causes of social reproduction and change.
3. Daniel Dennett* has persuasive arguments that the mental phenomenology
that includes ideas is:
A) explicable materially by brain states
B) yet is intrinsically not subjective: mind (although clearly not brain) is
not adequately confined to the individual subjective domain.

Fascinating issues - but ones that need to be put to one side in defending
the non-viciousness of so-called idealist elements in the new dialectics
within Marxist discourse. That is, bracketed.
* see, e.g. Dennett, D. C. (2003). Freedom Evolves. London, Allen Lane, and
his works leading up to this book.
michael
Michael Williams
26 Glenwood Avenue