(OPE-L) Bertell Ollman's Critique of Systematic Dialectics

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 09:59:17 EST

Hi Michael W.

>  Just let me say that my present stance would bracket
> (Husserl) the distinction between idealism and materialism
> (that is note it, and try to move on without relying on it) in
> the guises in which it appears in Marxist discourse

I guess my question would be how or whether one can, from
an ontological _and_ systematic dialectical perspective, "move
on" without  evaluating these perspectives.  Is it possible to be
'agnostic' about such a fundamental question without it affecting
the _content_ of the dialectical exposition?

I agree that Marxist discourse on this issue often leaves
something  to be desired (with e.g. 'idealist' often being merely
a dismissive pejorative term) and hence I can understand the
reluctance to engage in that discourse, _but_ I don't really
comprehend the _grounds_ from a philosophical perspective
with  which one can simply "bracket" the distinction between
idealism and materialism.  Maybe I just don't understand
Husserl?

If you don't have time to reply, I fully understand.

In solidarity, Jerry