Re: (OPE-L) Re: Babbage and Marx

From: Paul Cockshott (clyder@GN.APC.ORG)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 16:31:07 EST

Depends on the particular product. I illustrate my argument
initially with the Roman Samian ware industry which introduced
industrialised mass production of consumer goods thanks
to adopting moulding technology for ceramics rather than
turning them on a wheel.

In that case the measure of productivity would be
plates produced per worker.

The modern world is dominated by copying technology.
The improvement in the productivity of the semiconductor
industry which has allowed continual exponential growth
in production at a rate of around 40% per annum is all
based on the perfection of copying technology. In this
case the productivity would be measured in terms of
transistors produced per labour hour.