(OPE-L) RE: Systematic Dialectics and the Presentation of Historical Detail in Volume I of _Capital_

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 13:51:31 EST

Hi Andy.

A short addendum to our prior discussion:

> Well, I have pointed to an ongoing general tradition in part
> initiated by Ben Fine which has established a range of positions
> clearly at odds with Hegel-inspired systematic dialectics.

You have argued that the length of the historical sections on
the working day and primitive accumulation have significance
for Marx's project in Volume I.   I interpret this as _also_ meaning
that conceptually these topics belong in Volume I.  Correct?

It's interesting to note in this connection that in the latest edition
of _Marx's Capital_ by Fine and (OPE-Ler, Alfredo) Saad-Filho
the subjects of primitive accumulation and the historical
development of capitalist production are presented after the
Volume II topics of the circuit of industrial capital and the
reproduction schemes.

Have Ben and Alfredo, from your perspective, mis-stepped?

In solidarity, Jerry