Re: (OPE-L) Re: the economic cell-form and form-analysis

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 01:19:57 EDT

Jerry,

Of course Marx limits his study, and makes that clear. But what preceeded
capitalism? If I stress the historical development of the 'cell form' then
clearly I do not regard it as 'trans-historical', but itself an historically
developing form. That form has to reach a certain maturity before capitalism
itself  develops. Thus Marx's considerable efforts to assess the
'polarisation of the market for commodities' ( Part VIII)... briefly, by
force. It seems to me that much of the discussion on these matters seems to
start from the 'idea' and not from the facts, and once stuck with an idea
there seems to be no way out, only a fruitless argument about its
applicability. (as for Meek, if he agrees/d with me then OK. I do not of
course accept that such a society as a 'simple commodity economy' ever
existed).

Best regards

Paul Bullock