Re: (OPE-L) Re: the economic cell-form and form-analysis

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 15:02:59 EDT

Hi Paul B:

> It seems to me that much of the discussion on these matters seems
> to start from the 'idea' and not from the facts, and once stuck with an
> idea there seems to be no way out, only a fruitless argument about its
> applicability.

Neither Marx nor I started from an 'idea' or mere [empty]
concept.  The 'starting point' of the commodity was selected
because the subject matter of bourgeois society can be
explained through a systematic dialectical presentation
beginning with the commodity because it, in a nutshell,
expresses all of the contraditions inherent in the CMP.
I don't have it in front of me now -- but Marx says quite
explicitly in the "Marginal Notes on Wagner" that he does
_not_ begin with a concept but rather the way in which
wealth in bourgois society is most typically expressed.

In solidarity, Jerry