Re: (OPE-L) Re: Beams on Sweezy

From: Ian Wright (ian_paul_wright@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 20:27:39 EDT

Hi Jerry,

The only Sweezy I've read is his essay in the "Value Controversy" edited by
Ian Steedman, so I cannot comment on the overall accuracy of Beams' article.
I was hoping other listmembers with more extensive knowledge might comment.
But in that essay Sweezy does state (this is from memory) that value theory
has no necessary connection with crisis, which is a point that Beams
emphasises.
I also thought Sweezy's essay ignored the thrust of Steedman's criticisms
in an arrogant manner, and didn't warrant inclusion. But everyone is allowed
have an off day now and then. I guess Beams is working up to a class
appraisal
of Sweezy's work, and I always find that angle interesting, even though the
relation
between material circumstances and ideas is usually circumspect.

What do you think?

-Ian.

wrighti@acm.org
ianusa.home.mindspring.com

Tax headache? MSN Money provides relief with tax tips, tools, IRS forms and
more! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/workshop/welcome.asp