(OPE-L) Re: Beams on Sweezy

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 10:12:34 EDT

Hi Ian:

> What do you think?

The short answer is that I'm not particularly impressed
with the overall quality of the series.  In the part you most
recently forwarded to us, Beams seemed to me to have
entirely missed Sweezy's concern.  While he claimed that
Sweezy misrepresented Marx on competition, I think it is
Beams who misrepresented Sweezy on *oligopolistic*
competition.  The transformation of competition from a
form which emphasized technological change and price
competition to product differentiation and avertising,
was Sweezy's concern.  I.e. _Monopoly Capital_ was not
_per se_ a critique of Marx but rather an attempt to
explain how the form of competition has changed in late
capitalism.  It is to Sweezy's and Baran's credit that
they dealt with that issue.  Even if one disagrees with
their explanation of this, they deserve credit -- unlike
Beams -- for tackling this question head-on.

If I have more time later this week I will respond to
other aspects of the critique of Sweezy by Beams.

What do others think about the series?

In solidarity, Jerry