Re: (OPE-L) accumulation and de-accumulation of capital?

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@UFPR.BR)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 15:24:35 EDT

Hi Jerry,
In discussing the determinants of the magnitude of accumulated capital
Marx refers to the possibility that wages be below the value of labor
power. In that case, he says, part of the consumption fund of workers is
transformed in accumulation fund. Now, we can think the reverse way: if
wages stand above the value of labor power we could say that part of the
accumulation fund (the unconsumed surplus value) becomes consumption
fund of the working class.

It is interesting that besides all the factors that determine the
magnitude of accumulation Marx always calls attention to the fact that
accumulation, to some degree, is independent of the magnitude of surplus
value. I think he is referring to the incorporation of the forces and
richness of nature, for which capital pays nothing.. Nonetheless, since
there is a use value dimension to accumulation, to which he also calls
attention, the incorporation of use values given by nature acts as a
lever of accumulation.

Finally a point directet to Zarembka: I wonder why we canīt consider a
situation in which there augmentation of means of production whitout
increasing the labor force as Accumulation of Capital? After all it is
still conversion of surplus value into additional capital, except that
due to a combination of slow growth and rapid increase in technical
composition the labor force stay the same or even contracts in number.
Paulo