(OPE-L) accumulation and de-accumulation of capital?

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 14:02:46 EDT

Hi Paolo.

> If the value of the means of production are reduced
> we can have capital  accumulation with a lower M
> at the beginning of the new circuit.

Good point.  A cheapening of the elements of constant
capital, e.g. brought about by  technological change  and
representing moral depreciation, could mean just that.

I'm glad you brought up the topic of how technological
change fits into this process.  But, what happens when
there is technological change in those branches of production
in Department II  which produce commodities destined for
working-class consumption?

Suppose that the value of means of consumption for
the working-class goes down.  What effect on capital
accumulation will that have?  Unless workers agreed to
a reduction in their nominal wages (highly unlikely) then
this will cause their real wages to go up.  If that happens
how will that affect the magnitude of unpaid labor time
and surplus value?  It could be that under certain
circumstances even if  the M goes up, s and capital
accumulation could go down.

In solidarity, Jerry