Re: (OPE-L) Rakesh's suggestion

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 15:11:07 EDT

         I'm not certain exactly what Rakesh is objecting to--- other than
Jerry's tenure (and, if that's the sole question, I'm certain he'd want
Fidel to be long gone). From my perspective, the main role that Jerry plays
is as a catalyst--- regularly raising new issues and questions. (Rakesh has
played a very good role in this respect, too.) He doesn't really moderate
as far as I can see (e.g., is much less hands-on than Michael Perelman on
Pen-l--- that crowd can get pretty unruly at times). Other than that,
Jerry's role seems to be one of introducing new people. Am I missing
something? Has someone been excluded or thrown off the list by Jerry's
unilateral action?
         For the record, I'm quite happy with what I observe Jerry to be
doing, and I find that discussions on the list suffer every summer (when he
is off sailing)-- ie., when we are without his role.
         in solidarity,
          Lebowitz

At 13:24 16/05/2004, you wrote:
> >  I am sure that most of those OPE-L'ers who are thankful or
> > moderately thankful for your administration would agree that nine
> > years from any one person is enough, that administration should be
> > rotated, and that the advisory committee should appoint someone new.
>
>Rakesh:
>
>You are sure, are you?
>
>Why don't we let list members *speak for themselves* without replies
>from *either one of us*?  That is, I think you would have to agree that
>list members will be more forthcoming in stating their perspectives
>if they know that _both_ of us will read what they write without our
>responding immediately to what they wrote.  I propose that we _both_
>are silent on this question for *one week* while we _listen_ to what others
>think.
>
>*** Rakesh has suggested that the Advisory Committee appoint a new
>coordinator.  Who agrees with that suggestion?  Why or why not? ***
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at

Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724