Re: (OPE-L) Re: Advisory Committee

From: Jurriaan Bendien (andromeda246@HETNET.NL)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 12:36:45 EDT

I want to keep on the good side of both Rakesh and Jerry, both of whom have valuable and thoughtprovoking ideas from which I've learnt a lot. I wish I had the time they have to read all the literature...  Before we get tangled into an internecine dispute though, let's keep firmly in view what we have in common, and how we can pursue our shared goals in the best way.

If Jerry doesn't do it, who does do it, and would they do it better ? That is really the question. But it's difficult to figure out exactly what the disagreement consists in, beyond hunches, is it really about style of work, or is it about aims, or what ? Reasons for throwing out an existing organisational form are:

(1) it no longer advances us towards shared goals for one reason or another, or
(2) there exists another organisational form which more efficiently advances us towards shared goals, and can replace it.

But these possibilities must be proved with argument and evidence, not merely mooted. Otherwise, we are merely disorganising ourselves through a dispute that leads nowhere.

Apart from these queries, I don't really want to get involved in this topic further, because as I see it, it distracts from the real purpose of the list, which was to pick up the story where Marx left off and continue the project that he started in the modern, contemporary situation.

Best to all,

Jurriaan