(OPE-L) private messages / flame intervention

From: OPE-L Administrator (ope-admin@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 20:55:13 EDT

Since this also is of general interest, I will explain this
on-list.

1) private messages

No list member has  the right to forward private messages
to the list without the explicit authorization of the author.
It's as simple as that. Just about every Internet mailing list
has a rule to this effect.

2) flame intervention

We have a list policy against flames. Because discussions by the
AC can often take time,  it is expected both by the AC and the
list that I will use my judgment when I see flames about when
and whether I should intervene.  On (rare) occasions, I
instruct the parties not to discuss the matter further on-list.
After the discussion goes off-list then there is time for cooler
heads to prevail.  And, most importantly, the list is spared
an escalation of flames.  I only ask that this be done in
extreme cases.  When I, wearing my moderator hat, ask that a
topic be discussed off-list then I expect that all on-list
discussion cease immediately.  Period.

If the AC is not satisfied with how I have acted to prevent flame
escalation then they can raise the issue with me off-list.

In solidarity, Jerry