Re: (OPE-L) total values = total prices? addition

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 08:52:35 EDT

--- Jurriaan Bendien <andromeda246@HETNET.NL> wrote:
> I wrote:

 Here's an
> interesting quote I am using for my article "The
> transformation problem and
> the Marxian law of value":
>
> "But the question remains, what is the value of a
> company ? The answer
> depends on who is asking the question. A business
> owner would be interested
> in the market value of the company, whereas, the
> accountant cares little or
> nothing about capitalizing knowledge and wants to
> know instead the book
> value of the company. Accordingly, not all the
> factors determining the value
> of the company are included in the book value. Stock
> exchange analysts for
> example are particularly interested in the economic
> value of the company.
> They look at a future cash flows, and convert them
> into present values
> against weighted average costs of capital. An
> important point of criticism
> about existing annual reporting is the lack of
> future-oriented information.
And what do the TV commercials mean when they say,
"maximum value for your money"? The problem of value
or the value theory is not about how many different
things people mean by "value" in English language. It
is a particular problem about a particular theory, and
in this case about Marx's theory. I don't have time to
get involved in a debate on value theory but sometimes
I get fed up by reading so much of nonsense on value
theory. Cheers, ajit sinha