Re: the productive macworker

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 17:19:56 EDT

Michael,

I should say that here we are talking of the production of workers
foodstuffs. The destruction of the bourgeois family, constant movement  of
labour and the 24 hour economy require these tasks to be provided outside of
the traditional home 'kitchen'/ hearth.   These foods are a small part of
the overall mass of food produced, but nevertheless the role is clear.
Workers consume this stuff as part of a regular regime ( and not the
capitalist class who have a finer diet.)

The worker who provide the food at the end of the queue, much like a high
class soup-kitchen, create a profit for their corporation. Part of their
time is productive ( food preparation)  an other part unproductive ( eg
collecting the cash). It is most unfortunate that so many writers seem to
want to identify  particular concrete labours in their entirety  with  the
categories productive and unproductive of capital. The fact is that  a mix
often occurs during anyone day at the individual level. It is only as a
general statement that we can refer to time spent either one way or another,
labouring activity  acting in one way or another. Of course there will be
some professions where the distinction is particularly clear. Bank clerks
and others purely involved in  registering claims to money for example.
Generally the word 'service' in this difficult in any case. It cannot be
taken to be simply the same as the category 'unproductive'  as used by Marx.
This was partly why Marx was unhappy at Smith's use of the term 'immaterial'
as an identity with unproductive.

Paul Bullock.