Economakis/Milios on Luxemburg on Marx's repro. schemes

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 23:31:05 EDT

Rakesh pointed to the Remarx article in *Rethinking Marxism*, Apr. 04.
However, it incorrectly ascribes Luxemburg to being an
underconsumptionist, rather than her focus on over-production -- it's not
the same thing.  More importantly they seem to miss the actual process of
proletarianization as creating a market.

Actually, unlike Economakis/Milios, I don't believe one can mathematize
the point Luxemburg is making (or at least not in the simple manner these
authors do, who are following the path for destroying Luxemburg laid out
by Bukharin).  Consider an historical example: Wage-labor was desired for
Rhodesian gold mines.  It was supplied, after 1892, by the British
instituting extraordinarily high taxation on peasant land in Nyasaland
(now Malawi), and so forcing sons off the land to migrate to wage-labor
employment in gold mines.  Such jobs could provide direct help for paying
the land taxes or could provide a market for cash crops used to pay the
taxes (van Onselen, 1976).  When the process, nevertheless, still led
lands into receiverships and a subsequent conversion of family members
into wage-labor work on capitalist farms producing subsistence crops, the
full result would be the conversion of all subsistence peasant farmers
into proletarians producing value.  How would one mathematize this? or how
could the math in the article in question be interpreted to include this
example?

Incidentally, Bukharin on Luxemburg is actually quite problematic and I
became quite disillusioned with his 'scholarship' -- as I laid out in my
"Rosa Luxemburg's *Accumulation of Capital*: Critics Try to Bury the
Message", 2002).  Basically, Bukharin is using supposed 'scholarship' for
nasty politics.  Oh well.

Paul Z.

Vol.21-Neoliberalism in Crisis, Accumulation, and Rosa Luxemburg's Legacy
RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY, Zarembka/Soederberg, eds, Elsevier Science
********************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka