Re: on money

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 00:38:19 EDT

Howard,
Just to get an entry into your thought provoking and difficult posts,
may I ask one question of clarification.

Where I had written:

>In supposing that abstract labor can be such a thing, we seem to
>have been led to a mistaken ontological commitment. It is indeed as
>if the generalization fruit existed not merely in the mental act of
>abstracting from bananas, papayas, coconuts, etc. but was rather
>incarnated in, say, mangoes.

are you saying that the positing of the existence of abstract labor
is not a mistaken ontological commitment because in the rough words
of Hans Ehrbar abstract human labour is in fact an aspect of the
human labour process as every labour process is the expenditure of
brain, muscle, sense organs, etc. Do you agree with Hans when he
writes; "The fact that same word 'labour' is used for many different
activities shows that the abstraction can be made"?

Perhaps Hans will comment as well. I can see how my post could be
based on an important mistake or two that would undermine a critical
realist point of view. But I am not sure yet.

Rakesh