The Ciompi revolution and taxation

From: Ernesto Screpanti (screpanti@UNISI.IT)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 03:37:54 EDT

At 22.59 19/05/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>Marx wrote ("Instructions for the delegates of the Provisional Council",
>August 1866, published in Der Vorbote Nos. 10 and 11, October and November
>1866 and The International Courier Nos. 6/7, February 20, and Nos. 8/10,
>March 13, 1867) that: "(a) No modification of the form of taxation can
>produce any important change in the relations of labour and capital.  (b)
>Nevertheless, having to choose between two systems of taxation, we recommend
>the total abolition of indirect taxes, and the general substitution of
>direct taxes. Because indirect taxes increase the prices of commodities, the
>tradesmen adding to those prices increase not only the amount of the
>indirect taxes, but the interest and profit upon the capital advanced in
>their payment. Because indirect taxes conceal from an individual what he is
>paying to the state, whereas a direct tax is undisguised, unsophisticated,
>and not to be misunderstood by the meanest capacity. Direct taxation prompts
>therefore every individual to control the governing powers while indirect
>taxation destroys all tendency to self -government.
>
>Jurriaan

This passage is very interesting and reminds me of the "Ciompi revolution".
It occurred in Florence in 1378. About 10.000 wage workers (on a population
of 55.000) did a revolution lasting about 70 days. Among other thinks, the
wokers obtained a drastic reduction in indirect taxes (gabelle). Then they
proposed a progressive wealth tax (called "estimo"), the abolition of
public debt and the abolition of interest payments on the existing public
debt.
In a first phase, the workers were allied with the artisans and
semi-independent artisans. They assaulted the Palace of the Podestà, hanged
the Bargello (head of the police), took power and established a government
of "Minor Guilds". They also founded a revolutionary guard (Balestrieri del
Popolo Minuto). Then the artisans broke the alliance and the wage workers
continued the revolution by themselves, aiming at getting all the powers
for the Ciompi. The Ciompi soviet was in S. Maria Novella church. After
several harsh street battles, they finally got power and establlished the
most democratic government in the history of "Florence Popular Republic".
But their rule lasted only 3 days. In a final bloody battle in Place of
Signoria the Ciompi were defeated.  3 years later even the government of
the Minor Guilds was defeated (by a golpe of the  wool cloth
industrialists). So the artisans paid dearly their trahison. The estimo was
abolished, indirect taxes were rised again and high interest rates were
again paid on public debt.
This is instructive. Isn't it?

By the way, Marx studied the Ciompi revolutioin and, so it seems, he
considered it as the first modern proletarian revolution (but I am not sure
of this). His notes are unpublished and I could not read them.

In solidarity

Ernesto