Re: (OPE-L) another bit about taxation

From: Paul C (clyder@GN.APC.ORG)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 18:23:30 EDT

Anders Ekeland wrote:

> At 17:21 02.06.2004, you wrote:
>
>> How would turnover tax differ from value added tax?
>

> Primarily by its simplicity.

 I tend to be hostile to the idea of  a turnover tax because of the
Soviet experience. The soviet state balanced its expenditure with
a turnover tax, and the existence of such a tax was, I think, a big
obstacle to moving from a monetary economy to an economy
of the sort proposed in Critique of the Gotha Program.

If one is refering to a capitalist economy, then I agree that
with all the loopholes existing income taxes are not very
progressive. But the response should surely be to remove
the loopholes.

The only place where I think a turnover tax would be a good
idea is on the financial institutions.