Re: measurement of abstract labor

From: Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 22:33:05 EDT

Ajit seems to suggest in his comments below that the only variables that
are permissible in economic theories are EMPIRICALLY OBSERVABLE
MAGNITUDES.  In other words, a positivist or operationalist philosophy of
science.  Ajit keeps asking, "how do we EMPIRICALLY KNOW the L's and the m
in your equation?"  He asserts that, unless these variables are
empirically known, then there is no theory.

But this is not true.  Positivism is too narrow.  It is also permissible
for economic theories to be based on the assumption of unobservable
variables.  These assumptions cannot be directly empirically tested, but
they can be indirectly empirically tested, in terms of the conclusions
derived from these assumptions, which do refer to observable phenomena.

Marx assumed that commodities possess definite quantities of abstract
labor-time, even though it is not empirically known what these quantities
are.  From this assumption Marx derived certain conclusions that do refer
to observable phenomena - inherent technological change, conflict over the
length of the working day, conflict over the intensity of labor, trends in
the rate of surplus-value, the composition of capital, and the rate of
profit, etc.

The appropriate empirical tests of Marx's theory are in terms of these
conclusions derived from Marx's assumption of abstract
labor-times.  Rakesh made a similar point in recent posts, I believe.

An important example from physics of an explanatory variable that is not
directly observable is "force" in Newton's laws of mechanics.  Force is
presumed to exist, and to be the cause of the acceleration of masses, but
force cannot be observed and measured independently of its effects on the
acceleration of masses.

Ajit seems to want a theory of price in terms of observable variables
only.  Ajit, is that so?  Do I understand you correctly?  If so, then
why?  Why do you think that only observable variables are permissible in
economic theories?

Marx called such economic theories "vulgar economics" - vulgar because
they "stick to the realm of appearances" and have no idea of the inner
unobservable determinants of these appearances.

Thanks for the discussion.

Comradely,
Fred