Re: (OPE-L) RE: 'simple commodity production'

From: Ian Wright (iwright@GMAIL.COM)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 12:22:39 EDT

Hi Ajit

I don't think anyone disagrees with the proposition that under
capitalism the law of value operates with greater force, due to the
existence of generalised commodity production and the labour market.
That is what I take you to be saying in your footnote.

But I'm glad you consider the possibility that the mobility of labour
in capitalism can generate a dynamic tendency to homogenize the labour
reduction coefficients, despite the immediate appearance of wage
inequality, and discrimination on irrational grounds, such as gender
or race.

I think that the tendecy for wages to homogenize should have an equal
theoretical status to the tendency for profit rates to homogenize.

Workers strive for economic equality with each other and capitalists
strive for economic equality with each other. But they do so according
to different rules and different methods. But in reality neither
tendency is realised. Most neo-Ricardian models conflate these
tendencies with their actual realisations, and then attack Marx
because both tendencies cannot be simultaneously realised. But as I've
tried to point out before, this is a non-sequitur, a basic
philosophical error caused by a failure to distinguish between
mechanisms and events.

The concept of "simple commodity production" has a number of meanings.
The more controversial concept has to do with its existence in the
past, prior to capitalism. Clearly, before capitalism, labour mobility
was less, so if the law of value did operate in some locations in some
periods, it will have operated with less force.

The less controversial concept, but the less discussed, is the idea of
simple commodity production that Andrew Trigg mentioned: basically
capitalism without a capitalist class. This is a counterfactual
theoretical object that is an aspect of capitalism. In the
neo-Ricardian approach, if we assume zero profits and homogenous
reduction coefficients then the law of value holds without
contradiction. But because the neo-Ricardian approach is static it
just views this result as merely an economic configuration that may or
not pertain. The idea that this configuration is the attractor of a
dynamic mechanism that operates over time is completely absent from
the neo-Ricardian literature I have consulted. As usual, mechanisms
are reduced to events so when capitalists are brought back into the
picture, and profits are strictly positive, the deviation of prices
from values is just another fact, the appearance of which contradicts
the neo-Ricardian concept of the law of value. But the law of value is
not the realisation of prices proportional to labour values, it is the
mechanism with that attractor. The neo-Ricardian approach fails to
analyse the dynamic relationship between the two attractors: the law
of value and the law of equal profits. Instead, it reduces the
mechanisms to their attractors, discovers a contradiction, and then
chooses to reject the law of value rather than the law of equal
profits. Is it only me, or isn't this both obvious and basically a bit
stupid?

My apologies for repeating myself on this list, but I'm hoping someone
such as Ajit can point out what is wrong with my argument. Otherwise,
I am at a loss to understand how the neo-Ricardian rejection of the
Marxist theory of value has had any influence at all. It seems to me
to be based on a howler.

-Ian.