Re: (OPE-L) RE: 'simple commodity production'

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 01:00:46 EDT

Ian, I think you need to distinguish between the 'law
of value' and the 'theory of value'. The
neo-Ricardians' or Garegnani's position on the 'center
of gravitation' is essentially what Marx means by law
of value. Read Garegnani on 'gravitation' and how
essential it is for a theory of value. Here you will
get all the neo-Ricardian arguments for your
attractors. The theory of value on the other hand
deals with predictions of particular exchange ratios.
They are entirely two different things and cannot be
conflated into one. As a matter of fact the law of
value is well accepted by the neoclassical price
theory both partial and general, at least till the
intertemporal GE. Therefore, on this score there is no
significant difference between Classicals, Marx, and
neo-Classical economics.

In my previous post I had tried to make two points:
(1) attempts to derive value from commodity exchange
relations are conceptually flawed, and (2) the crucial
variable for a theoretical mobility is absent in the
SCP model for your attractor to come into play.
Cheers, ajit sinha