(OPE-L) Re: tendencies for equalization

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 08:56:00 EDT

Hi Anders.

> And I think that empirically the development of wages in the Nordic
> countries (espec. Norway and Sweden) after WW II can be interpreted to
> support Ian's point. That is - when labour movement is strong - when
> workers are free to form the wage system - there will be (and still is) a
> strong urge for wage equalisation. The narrowing of wage differentials is
> very marked from 1945 - 1985. And this was not the result of Nordic
> "harmony" - on the contrary - in Norway we "lost" more workdays in the
> thirties than any other European country - there was very hard class
> confrontations. Same in Sweden.

The post-WWII experience that you refer to in Norway and Sweden
was a consequence of  the deliberate strategy by trade unions to reduce
wage differentials (i.e. 'wage solidarity').  The influence of the trade
union  leadership in the (social-democratic) government was also an
important factor in determining state and corporate responses to these
workers' struggles.   While the historical experience that you refer to is
real enough for these individual capitalist social formations, on what basis
can you claim that  there is a  historical _tendency_ that there will be
reductions in wage  inequalities under capitalism as a consequence of
workers' striving for equality?  I.e. on what basis can you claim that
there is a general tendency for wage equalization rather than a contrary
claim that these experiences are the consequence of highly contingent
factors associated with workers struggles in individual (and, in significant
ways, atypical) capitalist social formations?

In solidarity, Jerry