(OPE-L) RE: 'simple commodity production'

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 08:56:12 EDT

Hi Howard.

I'll reply briefly to the following since you refer to it in the post from
yesterday that you were addressing to me.

> Suppose 3 people produce cutting boards for a farmers market.  Each
> produces 10 and 30 satisfy demand.  A spends 10 hours on production,
> B spends 60 and  C spends 80.  If the boards are qualitatively
> indistinguishable they will  tend to sell for the same price today or 2500
> years ago.  Because they tend  to sell at the same price the return to
> each producer will tend toward the  money equivalent of five hours.
> Presumably A sells out sooner; then the  price moves above the social
> average and if no other forces operate will  stay there.  Still, the point
> is that the causal tendencies set in motion by  independent production
> for private exchange operate and do not depend on the
> capital labor relation.

You didn't select a very good example, imo.

The type of production that you are referring to as having existed
historically in ancient Greece in elsewhere was typically artisanal.
A characteristic of the cutting boards produced by independent
artisans was that they were _not_ identical and _were_ qualitatively
distinguishable.  The concrete labour performed  by different artisans
was by no means considered to be identical by buyers. The
standardization of commodity quality, such that the quality of tomorrow's
output is typically identical to the quality of today's output and the
quality
produced by one worker at a firm is identical to the quality produced
by other workers, is a consequence of the growth of manufacture
and modern industry that emerged in the course of  _capitalist_ history.

In solidarity, Jerry