Re: (OPE-L) RE: 'simple commodity production'

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 16:09:09 EDT

At 10:34 PM -0700 9/13/04, Rakesh Bhandari wrote:
>At 10:00 PM -0700 9/13/04, ajit sinha wrote:
>>Ian, I think you need to distinguish between the 'law
>>of value' and the 'theory of value'. The
>>neo-Ricardians' or Garegnani's position on the 'center
>>of gravitation' is essentially what Marx means by law
>>of value. Read Garegnani on 'gravitation' and how
>>essential it is for a theory of value.
>
>Gravitational tendency towards inter industry equalization of profit
>rates cannot be conflated with gravitation towards equilibrium price.
>

>>  Here you will
>>get all the neo-Ricardian arguments for your
>>attractors. The theory of value on the other hand
>>deals with predictions of particular exchange ratios.
>>They are entirely two different things and cannot be
>>conflated into one.

I should add that not only is Marx's value theory as qualitative as
quantitative, its quantitative nature lies primarily not in its
explanation of
exchange ratios but in the causes and consequences of a permanent
tendency for the decline of unit values, i.e. the inverse movement
between value and use value (see Korsch, Karl Marx, chapters on
value). Ricardo also made the distinction between value and riches,
but this chapter had no real organic link to the rest of his
Principles. Marx's analysis on the other hand develops out of a
deepening of this distinction.

Ricardo writes: "...and the society will, nothwithstanding the
increased quantity of commodities, notwithstanding its augmented
riches, and its augmented means of enjoyments, have a less amount of
value. by constantly improving the facility of production, we
constantly disminish the value of some of the commodities before
produced, though by the same means we not only add to the national
riches, but also to the power of future production." p. 274

This is the dynamic Ricardo that was of crucial importance to Marx,
not the theorist of exchange ratios.

I have also argued that what TSS misses is the effect of a greater
quantity of uses value not only on the power of future production but
also the future appropriation of unpaid labour. That is, even TSS
which is in my opinion very close to Marx tends to undo the dialectic
of value and use value, value and riches.

Rakesh