(OPE-L) RE: tendencies for equalization

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 19:08:57 EDT

Hi Ian.

> This is one of those cases where the empirics are hugely
> overdetermined (e.g., Howard's "avalanche" of causal process occurring
> one on top of another). The factors you mention that generate wage
> inequalities are efficacious. But it all depends on the level of
> abstraction.

The level of abstraction where workers strive for economic equality
with each other is certainly more concrete than that  presented in
_Capital_ since it presupposes subjectivity and trade union and class
consciousness. It requires the recognition of diversity within the class
and a concerted strategy to achieve unity-in-diversity.

> But at a higher level of abstraction I think the empirical data does
> indicate a historical tendency for intra-class wage equalization
> amongst workers.

At that level of abstraction, what is the causal mechanism that you
believe leads to the 'tendency' for wage rate equalization?

In solidarity, Jerry