Re: (OPE-L) RE: tendencies for equalization

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 21:27:52 EDT

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Gerald A. Levy wrote:

> Hi Allin.  I hope you've managed to remain dry today.

Thanks, Jerry.  We didn't have it too bad in NC today.

>> If we're talking about a tendency towards equalization of wages, none
>> of the above are required.  All that is needed is a tendency of
>> workers to try to get out of sectors where wages are low, and to try
>> to get into sectors where they are high.
>
> Under the marginalist assumptions of full employment and Say's Law
> (and homogenous labour),  such an abstract tendency is possible.

I don't see what Say's Law and marginalism have to do with it.  It's
very simple and general concept that if workers try to do what I
stated above, this will _tend_ to equalize wages -- or better, to
limit the dispersion of wages (for comparable sorts of labour, natch).

Allin.