Re: (OPE-L) RE: 'simple commodity production'

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 13:50:11 EDT

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, ajit sinha wrote:

> A social division of labor requires exchange of goods,
> but not necessarily a value calculation. Imagine
> exchange on the basis of gifts--here goods would
> exchange without value calculations. In a well defined
> caste division of labor also goods would exchange
> without any value calculations. I think it is simply
> wrong to think that exchange of goods imply "value",
> if value has to keep its meaning.

Ian's point -- as I understand it from his formal work on the subject,
and put very crudely -- is that if the gift-exchanges that you're
imagining are ongoing, and amount to a significant fraction of the
economic activity of the agents involved, then in the long run they
are bound to give rise to exchange ratios that do not differ too
drastically from labour-values.

If they did differ drastically, some of the gift-exchangers would go
extinct; the situation would not sustain reproduction.

With a caste system it's perhaps a bit different, in that one can
imagine systematically unequal exchange between castes as a form of
exploitation -- given the power relations required to enforce the
inequality and to prevent people from changing caste.

Allin Cottrell