Re: Economist slips up over Venezuela

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 14:37:43 EDT

again briefly. Alejandro, if you want this discussion to stop, please
say so.  I was trying to respect the seminar format.

At 10:34 AM +0100 9/23/04, Paul Bullock wrote:
>Rakesh,
>
>you certainly did insist that the bosses lock out was a 'strike',

I did? And if so a strike by whom?

>and accused
>Chavez of being just another populist

So I didn't say it was a popular strike?

>... and ran him down..

On what grounds? That he was a populist or that he wasn't a populist?

>Michaels points are  something completely different.  Petras's articles are
>usually quite on the mark...a recent one exposing the history of  Carters
>Peace organisation / circus is really excellent.. But I do find that he
>doesn't dig deep enough at times and this can be misleading.

this is not very helpful as a reply to what he did write, is it?

>Thus on
>Argentina he correctly pointed  to the sectarianism that  characterised  the
>'piqueteros',  but without demonstrating why it arose,  the social basis for
>its existence, the role of the police,  the government etc... which  then
>leaves an incomplete picture behind.

Didn't read his analysis of Argentina. Or don't remember it now.

>  In this sense, with another example,
>Michael is making a similar point.

Nor is a criticism of his Cuba analysis very helpful in understanding
the limitations of his Venezuela analysis.

>   Nevertheless, I would rather we had many
>hundreds more of  people like Petras, than those who pointlessly malign
>those like Chavez.

So his criticisms of Chavez are on point?

R.