Re: (OPE-L) Re: tendencies for equalization

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 14:34:22 EDT

At 07:24 28/09/2004, you wrote:
>Under European feudalism the urban population tended to experience
>a long term growth. Given that the urban mortality rate
>due to infections was higher than the rural level, this
>implied that the urban population was growing due
>to inflow from the countryside.

Yes, there clearly was an inflow--- but much of the population increase was
accompanied by the clearing of forests, draining of fens, etc, ie., did not
at all represent an urban/rural shift. Indeed, when such geographical
expansion tapered off was the point at which population growth did.
         michael

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department