Re: (OPE-L) Re: tendencies for equalization

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@UFPR.BR)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 17:26:16 EDT

Hi Jerry, thanks for your reply.
I think that introducing skilled and unsskilled labor does not deal with the
problem for they have different costs of reproduction and therefore different
values of labor power. Therefore they cannot have equal wages nor there could be
a tendency to equalize them.
It is much more striking to see that even when skills are similar, competition
based as it is on different methods and efficiency levels tend to create wage
disparities. Think about carpentry labor on furniture production. Or
construction firms. Small construction companies such as the one I used to build
my house probably pay much less to its workers than large companies.
I am strictly thinking about different wages for the same level of skills in the
same trade. It seems that these differences spring from the necessity that the
weaker capitals economize on wages in order to be able to renounce a fraction of
surplus labor, that is, sell cheaper, in order to be able to compete.
Paulo