Re: (OPE-L) recent references on 'problem' of money commodity?

From: bellofio@unibg.it
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 04:48:30 EDT

In my chapter in the book I edited together with Nicola Taylor and
published this year by Palgrave (The Constitution of Capital) it is shown
how central is the notion of money as a commodity in the construction of
his (asbstract) labour theory of value.

In fact I think that we must distinguish the interpretation of Marx from
the reconstruction of his thoyght today. I have argued in many places that
many problems attributed to Marx's theory of value are false, because they
don't take into account the money as a commodity aspect. But his money as a
commodity theory cannot be accepted. Hence those inetrested like me in
maintaining the abstract labour theory of value need to engage in
reconstruction

In my chapter in the forthcoming book edited by Moseley I summarise my view
on how to recostruct Marx's system without money as a commodity.

A mixed perspective (both interpretative and reconstructive) can be also
found in the paper on these topics I published with Riccardo Realfonzo in a
book published last year in a book edited by Rochon and Rossi by Elgar on
monetary matters. The details of all these papers are still on my web page
in my University site (which is disappearing)

Probably it has been already told on this list, but in the Moseley's book
there is also a very clever and detailed defence of the commodity money
perspective in Marx by Germer.

riccardo