Re: (OPE-L) recent references on 'problem' of money commodity?

From: Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 19:37:51 EDT

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, bellofio@unibg.it wrote:

> In my chapter in the forthcoming book edited by Moseley I summarise my view
> on how to recostruct Marx's system without money as a commodity.
>
> Probably it has been already told on this list, but in the Moseley's book
> there is also a very clever and detailed defence of the commodity money
> perspective in Marx by Germer.

Riccardo mentioned the forthcoming book (conference volume), edited by
me.  The title is *Marx's Theory of Money: Modern Appraisals*.  Authors
are: Foley, de Brunhoff, Germer, Itoh, Lapavitsas, Likitkijsomboon,
Nelson, Campbell, Bellofiore, Reuten, Smith, Murray, Arthur, and Moseley.

All the authors in this book, except Germer and Bellofiore, argue that
money does NOT have to be a commodity in Marx's theory.

Below is the Table of Contents of the book, and attached in my
introduction, for those who might be interested.  I would of course be
very interested in any comments listmembers might wish to make.  The book
will be published by Palgrave in early 2005.

Comradely,
Fred

Part I  Marx's Basic Theory of Money

        Claus Germer    The Commodity Nature of Money in Marx's Theory

        Duncan Foley    Marx's Theory of Money in Historical Perspective

        Patrick Murray  Money as Displaced Social Form:
                        Why Value Cannot Be Independent of Price

        Anitra Nelson   Marx's Objections to Credit Theories of Money

        Geert Reuten    Money as Constituent of Value

Part II Extensions and Reconstructions of Marx's Theory of Money

        Costas Lapavistas    The Universal Equivalent and Monopolist of
                             the Ability to Buy

        Riccardo Bellofiore  The Monetary Aspects of the Capitalist
                             Process in the Marxian System:
                             An Investigation from the Point of View of
                             the Theory of the Monetary Circuit

Part III  Marx's Critique of the Quantity Theory of Money

        Martha Campbell         Marx's Explanation of Money's Functions
                                Overturning the Quantity Theory

        Pichit Likitkijsomboon  Marx's Anti-Quantity Theory of Money:
                                A Critical Evaluation

Part IV  Money and Prices of Production

        Makoto Itoh     The New Interpretation and the Value of Money

        Fred Moseley    Money Has No Price: Marx's Theory of Money
                        and The Transformation Problem

Part V  International Money

        Suzanne de Brunhoff  Marx's Contribution to the Search for a
                             Theory of Money

        Tony Smith      Toward a Marxian Theory of World Money