Re: (OPE-L) New School Economic Review

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 17:35:13 EST

At 7:02 PM -0500 11/5/04, Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM wrote:
>The 1st issue (Volume 1, #1) of this online journal
>is now out.
>
><http://www.newschool.edu/gf/nser>http://www.newschool.edu/gf/nser
>
>There are articles by listmember Michael Heinrich,
>former listmember Duncan Foley,  Ben Fine, Stephen
>Resnick & Richard Wolff,  Robert Pollin and others.
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Duncan F's very interesting  essay makes me wonder whether
Foucauldian/Althusserian anti humanism should be understood  as
basically a critique of  the economic agent as envisioned by
marginalism (though Althusser seems to have incorrectly read that
view of Man or the economic agent--homo economicus--back into
classical economics). Or was a black box conception of  agents as
automata also implicit in the anti humanism of this quasi
structuralist school (Godelier did explicitly invoke analogies to
cybernetics)--hence its scientistic vogue  which Ranciere and Badiou
later critiqued (though perhaps in irrationalist fashion if Daniel
Bensaid is correct) and Lipietz in the Enchanted World attempted to
think against through a study of real freedom of action in the
exoteric world? Of course here I am dropping the names of authors of
those dense tomes of social theory to which Duncan wittily refers.

Rakesh